Saturday, June 22, 2013

Welcome to my Blog!

               


Welcome all my readers!

I hope you are doing well and having a wonderful day. Before I begin, I have to make somewhat of a confession. Don’t worry, it’s nothing terrifying or horrific! I don’t want to startle you before you even read two lines on my blog (now that would be quite counter-productive, wouldn’t it?). My admission is quite harmless in that respect. Simply, I must admit that this blog is something that I created for one of my courses. While I’m not really used to the idea of blogging (despite their popularity for the past few years), I have to say that blogs offer quite an interesting medium of sharing not only facts, but also one's thoughts and opinions. While I’ve written countless essays on various topics throughout my studies (and pulled many all-nighters doing so), something that I’ve always found restraining is that one’s personal opinion has very little importance when reporting facts. The essays that I’ve mostly had to write thus far simply required me to gather facts and report them. For that reason, I find it refreshing that blogs allow you the ability to share not only factual information, but also your own opinions and beliefs.

With that said, the topic I have chosen to write about is pedophilia. Specifically, I have to answer the following:

 “How are pedophiles dealt with in Canada? Compare to other countries. Best practice? Is rehabilitation possible?"

Pedophilia is something that has been heavily debated over the years. There is debate over what constitutes pedophilia; what the punishment should be for those who commit pedophiliac acts; and, as hard as it is to believe, there is even debate over whether children are really even “victims” (some argue that pedophilia is not wrong and should be allowed).

Before writing about pedophilia, it is important to first define this word. What is “pedophilia”? Pedophilia is abnormal sexual behaviour in which a person 16 years or older is sexually attracted to young children who have not yet reached puberty. In other words, pedophilia is the act or desire, by an adult, of engaging in sexual activity with young children. It is important to note that, while this is the common definition of the word, the clinical definition of pedophilia is still often debated and has changed several times over the years. In fact, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, which is one of the leading authorities on what is defined and classified as a mental disorder, has previously classified “pedophilia” as a sexual deviation, a sociopathic condition, and a non-psychotic medical disorder.*
While I will be sharing the facts I find and offering my opinion on the matter, I encourage all of you to share your views as well within the comment section of my blog. I am always interested in reading what others have to say in matters such as these.
I look forward to blogging and sharing the information I find with all of you!

*For more information, here is a very interesting and informative article:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/jan/03/pedophilia-bringing-dark-desires-light
 

No comments:

Post a Comment